9:00 AM EST (New York)
Live Webinar: Bioactivity: restorative dentistry becomes regenerative dentistry
Speaker(s): Dr. Gregg A. Helvey DDS, MAGD, CDT
Please login or register
In order to view this webinar you need to login into your account. Don't have an account? You can create one for free.
Bioactivity: restorative dentistry becomes regenerative dentistry
An extensive review of current advancements on bioactive restorative materials including their features, indications, advantages, effects on dental implants.
Nearly half of all restorations placed in the United States are replacements of defective restorations. Composite resin restorations account for a higher amount of failures compared to other restorative materials. The presence of secondary decay at the interface between the tooth and the restoration is the most common means of failure. Recently, there has been a surge in the literature of incorporating “bioactivity” in restorative materials. The rationale behind these “regenerative” materials is to curb the demineralization process before invasive damage occurs; whether it is for incipient caries lacking cavitation or a new restoration. The use of bioactive regenerative materials can lead to minimally invasive types of treatment.
Bioactivity is not limited to restorative materials. It is now incorporated into dental implant surfaces.
After taking this dental webinar, you will learn:
- How are bioactive restoratives defined
- The history of these materials
- How do they work and the different types
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Clinical indications and contra-indications
- How bioactivity effects dental implants
- Different types of implant fixture architecture and physiology
Release date: 17/12/2018
Expiration date: 17/12/2021
“Bioactivity: restorative dentistry becomes regenerative dentistry” is co-sponsored by Tribune Group GmbH. Tribune Group GmbH is a recognized ADA CERP and AGD PACE provider.
Dr. Gregg A. Helvey DDS, MAGD, CDT
Dr. Gregg A. Helvey, DDS, MAGD, CDT – CURRICULUM VITAE
Dr. Helvey is part of an small elite group of dentists who are also laboratory Certified Dental Technicians. This combination of experience as both a dentist and a skilled ceramic technician has aided in the development of unique restorative and laboratory procedures. Many of his articles (over 80) have been published in peer-reviewed journals. Presently, he is the Collaborative Section Editor for Inside Dentistry as well as serving on the editorial advisory board for Inside Dentistry, Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry and Inside Dental Technology. In addition to his position as Adjunct Associate Professor at Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry, Dr. Helvey has been teaching cosmetic dentistry in the AEGD residency program with an emphasis porcelain veneers since 1998. He received his dental degree from Georgetown University in 1976 He is a Life member of the American Dental Association, and received his Mastership in the Academy of General Dentistry in 1997. He is also a member of the International Association of Dental Research and the Academy of Dental Materials. Dr. Helvey lectures nationally and internationally and maintains a private practice in Middleburg, Virginia.
- Georgetown University School of Dentistry, DDS 1976
- St. Mary’s College of California, BS, 1972
- General Practice Residency, US Air Force
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Virginia Commonwealth University
- School of Dentistry, Dept. of General Practice Dentistry, 1998-present
- Clinical Director, Columbus Institute of Cosmetic Dentistry, Columbus, Ohio 1997
MEMBERSHIP – PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- American Dental Association
- Academy of General Dentistry
- Virginia Dental Association
- Northern Virginia Dental Association
- International Association of Dental Research
- Academy of Dental Materials
- International Academy of Adhesive Dentistry
- National Association of Dental Laboratories
- Mastership – Academy of General Dentistry, 1997
- Fellowship – Academy of General Dentistry, 1984
- Continuing Education Committee, Virginia Commonwealth University
- School of Dentistry, 2003 – present
- Secretary – Treasurer, Loudoun County Dental Society, 1989 – 1991
OTHER SIGNIFICANT ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE
- Instructor- Advanced Education General Dentistry Residency Program, Virginia Commonwealth University, School of Dentistry, 1997- present
Continuing Education Courses:
- Successful Porcelain Veneers: A step-by-step approach.
- Advanced Laminate Veneer Preparations.
- The Art of Aesthetic Dentistry.
- Everyday Occlusion.
- Zirconium: The Art of Metal-Free Restorations.
- Designing aesthetic smiles through the daVinci method and creating optical illusions with mock-up models.
- Adobe Photoshop Elements and Cosmetic Dentistry.
- Lunchtime crowns – Getting more out of your Cerec.
- What your dental technician would love to tell you but is afraid to say.
- Aesthetic & Restorative Dentistry – Material Selection & Technique. Quintessence Publishing 2009 Chicago. International Editorial Member
- Helvey GA. Cranial osteopathic manipulations in compromised patient. Functional Orthodontist. 1983.
- Helvey. Accelerated multiple veneer placement. Belle Solutions 1997 1 (1); 3- 5.1997.
- Helvey GA. Proxi-veneers: An ultraconservative indirect approach closing anterior diastemata. Cont Esthet Rest Pract 2002;4(6):60-8.
- Helvey GA. Prehybridization: An alternative method for dentin bonding. Dent Today 2002; 19 (12): 82-7.
- Helvey GA. Model and die techniques for belleGlass in-office indirect restorative system. Cont Esthet Rest Pract 2002; 5 (11): 62-3.
- Helvey GA. Using pressable ceramics to achieve orthodontic correction. Pract Periodont Aesthet Dent 2002; 14(3): 223-227.
- Helvey GA. Retrofitting crowns to an existing removable partial denture clasp: A simple technique. J Prosth Dent 2002; 87 (4): 399-402.
- Helvey GA. Fabrication of aesthetic, pressed, porcelain-fused-to-metal restorations. Pract Periodont Aethetic Dent 2002;14 (6): 487-492.
- Helvey GA. Closing diastemas and creating artificial gingival with Polymer ceramics. Compend Cont Educ Dent 2002; 23 (11): 983-996.
- Helvey GA. Wax injection techniques. Dental Dialogue 2003;3(4):302-309
- Helvey GA. The wax injection method of replicating teeth. Pract Periodont Aesthet Dent 2003. 15(5); 361- 363.
- Helvey GA. Fabrication of porcelain laminate veneers from provisional restorations: The wax injection method. Pract Periodont Aesthet Dent 2003; 15 (7): 538-542.
- Helvey GA. Press-to-zirconia: A case study utilizing CAD/CAM technology and the wax injection method. Pract Periodont Aethetic Dent 2006; 18(9):547-553.
- Helvey GA. How to increase patient acceptance for cosmetic dentistry: Cosmetic imaging with Adobe Photoshop elements 4.0. Dent Today 2007; 26(2):148-152. 15. Helvey GA, Thompson LG. An aid to transferring aesthetic mock-ups to the patient: the H-T Open Window Stent. Dent Today 2007; 26(3):68-71. 16. Helvey GA. Computer-Generated smile analysis: Part 1. Dent Today 2007; 26(7): 148-152.
- Helvey GA. Computer-Generated smile analysis: Part 2. Dent Today 2007; 26(8):108-113.
- Helvey GA. Zirconia and Computer-aided Design/Computer-aided Manufacturing (CAD/CAM) Dentistry. Functional Esthetics & Restorative Dentistry 2007; 1(3):28-39.
- Helvey GA, Miolen K. Evolution of impression-free techniques for zirconia-based restorations. Inside Dent 2007; 3(10):72-76.
- Helvey GA, Miolen K. Use your dentist client’s Cerec 3D to create impression-free and model-free restorations. JDT 2008;25(8):40-46.
- Helvey GA. Zirconia and computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM) dentistry. Inside Dent 2008;4(4):72-79.
- Helvey GA, Lowe RA, McLaren EA. What is the best way to repair a chipped porcelain restoration? Inside Dent 2008;4(5):86.
- Farman AG, Helvey GA, McLaren EA. Is CAD/CAM technology here to stay? Inside Dent 2008;4(8):82.
- Helvey GA. Update on CAD/CAM technology in dentistry. Continuing education article for Inside Dentistry online 2008.
- Helvey, GA. Porcelain laminate veneer insertion using a heated composite technique. Inside Dent 2009;5(4);38-47. 26. Helvey GA. Retro-fitting an existing crown adjacent to a removable partial denture in a single visit. Inside Dent 2009;5(3):34-41.
- Helvey GA. Impression-free/model free anterior fixed partial denture: A new approach utilizing computer software. PPAD 2009;21(2):107-112.
- Helvey GA. Active fiber-based post –supported lithium disilicate restoration: A case study. Inside Dent2009;5(8):54-60.
- Helvey GA. Porcelain laminate veneer preparations: The additive contour technique. Inside Dent 2009;5(1):74-78.
- Helvey GA. The current state of digital impressions. Inside Dent 2009;5(9):86-89.
- Helvey GA. What criteria govern the addition of a product to your clinical armamentarium? Inside Dent 2009;5(10):34
- Chairside CAD/CAM: Lithium disilicate restoration for anterior teeth made simple. Inside Dent. Nov/Dec 2009;5(10):58-67.
- Helvey GA. Prehybridization (immediate dentin sealing): Alternative methods and materials. Parkell Today Jan 2010
- Helvey GA. Innovations in Impression Materials and Impression Techniques. Kerr University Online Learning Center 2010.
- Helvey GA, Simonsen R, Adar P, Feuerstein P. Will digital impressions become a standard of care? Inside Dent 2010;6(2):36.
- Helvey GA. A History of Dental Ceramics. Comp Cont Ed Dent (Special Issue)2010;31(4):1-3.
- Helvey GA. Monolithic versus bilayered restorations: A closer look. Vistas Complete and Predictable Dentistry The Dawson Academy 2010:3(2):16-24.
- Helvey GA. Facts on resin cement use. Inside Dent Tech 2010:1(1):68-69.
- Helvey GA. Material selection for all-ceramic restorations. Inside Dent Tech 2010;1(2):48. 40. Helvey GA. The History of Adhesive Bonding. . Kerr University Online Learning Center 2010.
- Helvey GA. Monolithic versus bilayered restorations (Reprint). Chairside Glidewell)21-30
- Helvey GA. Non-retentive, adhesively retained posterior restoration. Inside Dent 2011;7(2):38-50.
- Helvey GA. Finishing zirconia chairside. Inside Dent Tech 2011;2(2):62-65.
- Helvey GA. Scannable impression materials. Parkell Today March 2011
- Helvey GA. Simple steps for better preparations. Inside Dent Tech 2011;2(6):62-63.
- Helvey GA. Mach-Scannable. Inside Dent 2011;7(6):128
- Helvey GA. Impression materials: Elastomeric impression materials, Factors to consider. Comp Cont Ed Dent 2011;32(8):57-59
- Helvey GA. Racing to simplify: Manufacturers move toward materials that streamline production and artistry. Inside Dent Tech Nov/Dec 2011:46-47.
- Helvey GA. Adhesive Dentistry: The development of immediate dentin sealing/ selective etching bond technique. Comp Cont Ed Dent 2011;12(9):22-36
- Helvey GA. What was the most significant event to happen in dentistry in 2011? Inside Dent 2011;7(11):29 51. Helvey GA. The Durability of the Resin/Dentin Complex. Comp Cont Ed Dent 2012;33(3)
- Helvey GA. Degradation of dentin bond strengths. Inside Dent Tech 2012:3(1):50-51.
- Helvey GA. Sometimes a simple fix can save time. Parkell Today October 2012:28
- Helvey GA. Developing a digital team: How can clinicians integrate laboratory technicians into a “digital dental team” concept. Comp Cont Ed Dent 2012:33(9):654.
- Helvey GA. Resin-bonded bridge pontic repair using CAD/CAM. Inside Dent 2012;8(7):52-59.
- Helvey GA. 2012 year in review. Inside Dent 2012;8(12):34
- Helvey GA. Incorporating CAD/CAM into the operatory. Inside Dent 2013:9(1):9698.
- Helvey GA. Using provisional restorations to reliably determine correct facial midlines. Parkell Today October 2013:3-33
- Helvey GA. Time-saving materials: New options for streamlining restorative procedures. Inside Dent 2013;9(12):74-75
- Helvey GA. Classification of dental ceramics. Inside Dent 2013;9(4):62-78.
- Helvey GA. CAD/CAM: Practical advice for incorporating CAD/CAM into the operatory. Comp Cont Ed Dent 2013;34(6):456-457.
- Helvey GA. Dental ceramics Classification. Inside Dent Tech 2013:4(6):34-43.
- Helvey GA. Masking undesirable colors of underlying tooth structures when cementing crowns. Parkell.com 2013.
- Helvey GA. The value of a restoration. Inside Dent 2013;9(11):
- Helvey GA. Using Absolute Dentin Plus. Parkell Today March 2014:1
- Helvey GA. The mechanics of ceramics. Inside Dent 2014;10(3):68-71
Ask the Expert
Please login and watch the entire webinar before attempting to take the C.E. Quiz. Once you watch the webinar please return here to take the C.E. Quiz and print your C.E. Certificate.
Already logged in and watched the webinar? Please try to reload the page by using the button below.