This article requires registration.
To participate please login.
Article: Endodontic diagnosis
Authors: Gerald N. Glickman, DDS, MS, MBA, JD
· Discuss diagnostic terminology for pulpal disease.
· List diagnostic terminology for periapical disease.
· Describe endodontic diagnostic procedures.
The C.E. quiz will be available online, upon registration for this course.
For additional reading on the topic, please refer to:
1. Glickman GN. AAE consensus conference on diagnostic terminology: background and perspectives. J Endod 2009;35:1619.
2. Seltzer S, Bender IB, Ziontz M. The dynamics of pulp inflammation: correlations between diagnostic data and actual histologic findings in the pulp. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1963;16:846-71;969-977.
3. Berman LH, Hartwell GR. Diagnosis. In: Cohen S, Hargreaves KM, eds. Pathways of the Pulp, 11th ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby/Elsevier; 2011:2-39.
4. Schweitzer JL. The endodontic diagnostic puzzle. Gen Dent 2009; Nov/Dec. 560-567.
5. AAE Consensus Conference Recommended Diagnostic Terminology. J Endod 2009;35:1634.
6. American Association of Endodontists. Glossary of Endodontic Terms. 8th ed. 2012.
7. Glickman GN, Bakland LK, Fouad AF, Hargreaves KM, Schwartz SA. Diagnostic terminology: report of an online survey. J Endod 2009;35:1625.
8. Abbott PV, Yu C. A clinical classification of the status of the pulp and the root canal system. Aust Dent J 2007;52 (Endod Suppl):S17-31.
9. Jafarzadeh H, Abbott PV. Review of pulp sensibility tests. Part 1: general information and thermal tests. Int Endod J 2010;43:738-762.
10. Jafarzadeh H, Abbott PV. Review of pulp sensibility tests. Part II: electric pulp tests and test cavities. Int Endod J 2010;43:945-958.
11. Newton CW, Hoen MM, Goodis HE, Johnson BR, McClanahan SB. Identify and determine the metrics, hierarchy, and predictive value of all the parameters and/or methods used during endodontic diagnosis. J Endod 2009;35:1635.
12. Levin LG, Law AS, Holland GR, Abbot PV, Roda RS. Identify and define all diagnostic terms for pulpal health and disease states. J Endod 2009;35:1645.
13. Gutmann JL, Baumgartner JC, Gluskin AH, Hartwell GR, Walton RE. Identify and define all diagnostic terms for periapical/periradicular health and disease states. J Endod 2009;35:1658.
14. Rosenberg PA, Schindler WG, Krell KV, Hicks ML, Davis SB. Identify the endodontic treatment modalities. J Endod 2009;35:1675.
15. Green TL, Walton RE, Clark JM, Maixner D. Histologic examination of condensing osteitis in cadaver specimens. J Endod 2013; 39:977-979.
REFUND POLICY: n/a
DISCLOSURE: The author(s) have no potential conflicts relevant to the topic area and did not receive any funding or commercial support for authoring the article(s).
Dental Tribune America LLC is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry. Dental Tribune America designates this activity for one continuing education credit. Concerns or complaints about a CE provider may be directed to the provider or to ADA CERP at www.ada.org/goto/cerp.
Release date: 30 November 2015
Expiration date: 29 November 2018